Work on freelance has a great deal of meaningful advantages. They are readily described by popular remote bloggers. Actually, the world of freelance can fascinate, and the idea of working at home, having an absolutely flexible schedule, getting good wages gives confidence, determination and forces hand. But everyone who having inspired was quick enough to get an A4 sheet and write a resignation notice should stop a bit. No, we are not going to discourage the reader from distant work. We just want to tell you more particularly, what you are going to face during the very first month of your independent voyage, what difficulties you may experience. A beautiful golden medal has two sides, doesn’t it? So does freelance. It has downsides rather than minuses.
No stable flow of orders
Of course, if you offer a service sought-after at the market, and the number of specialists in the selected field is nothing to speak of, you won’t have such problem. With a sensible approach to promoting your services (it’s worth using GetService and similar resources), you’ll always be provided with well-paid work. However, programmers, designers, DPT specialists, copywriters, accountants, translators are the ones who virtually start freelancing, the level of competition in such spheres is high. To have constant wages, you’ll have to:
– go on looking for new orders in the period, when you are engaged in a large project. Projects tend to finish;
– be the most polite communicating with potential clients;
– remain honest in any circumstances – loss of reputation in the world of remote work is like apocalypse for a wallet.
Do not wait for stable load in a month. It’s good, if you manage to get regular clients during a year. It’s better, when the clients will distribute information about you as a good, responsible specialist among their acquaintances – potential customers by word of mouth.
At first, you’ll have to face the situation “feast today and fast tomorrow” very often. The sense of instability often hinders. Accept temporary difficulties and just go on working.
Specifics of individual schedule planning
It is necessary to get ready to constant self-control. At the market of remote work, only those who possess the following qualities will survive:
– ability of time scheduling;
– ability to be result-oriented.
There are many services similar to GetService, where a freelancer has an opportunity to make himself/herself known and declare about the services he/she offers. However, you can get good clients and stable wages only having a respective rating. This rating will take not one day. As you understand, without the above qualities it will be difficult to make a name: you’ll only spend time. Procrastination, inability to be responsible for a high-quality result – are the main enemies of a “freelancer”.
Issues of self-organization
Intersect with the specifics of planning, require attentive attitude. The essence of freelance consists in an opportunity to make up an individual work schedule. Yes, you’ll decide on your own, when you work, and when you have a rest. But you won’t be able to do without a daily schedule. Absence of any schedule will result in:
– constant weariness and lack of sleep;
– inability to perform the set tasks in time and failure to meet the deadlines;
– lack of time to solve everyday domestic problems.
You should calculate in advance what monthly wage will be minimally sufficient to support himself/herself. I.e. what is the threshold you should not drop below. Based on this, you can calculate what amount of work and in what period should be performed daily (subject to minimum one or better yet two days-off a week).
Then you should determine, at what time you’ll get up, how many time you’ll devote to work, housekeeping. The schedule should obligatorily include walks outdoors, meetings with friends, etc. Try to stick to the scheduled activities and solve the problems – they tend to accumulate.
Skills of business communication
A freelancer will have to constantly communicate with people:
– keep business correspondence;
– distribute commercial offers;
– chat in messengers;
– talk on the phone.
The customers will be different people. Business negotiations training will be inevitable, as the skill of finding a common language isn’t pulled out of a hat. Remember some simple rules:
- Never make friends with clients. Be able to remain friendly, but keep the distance. This way it will be much easier to set the prices for your services, refuse in discounts (which will be often requested with and without a reason), save time on small talk.
- Come to an agreement “on the shore”. On the prices, deadlines, payment options, advance payment, conditions of corrections, conditions of the completed project acceptance/non-acceptance, etc. to avoid the situation, when the client thinks that after payment for work you should make all 100,500 corrections (even those that contradict the original task) free of charge.
- Learn to refuse the clients beginning communication with familiarity. Don’t be personal in communication. Work is work, no matter what position you have in the freelance hierarchy. Inability to communicate, roughness, expressly rude tone gives out a dabbler, and will serve a bad service in the future.
- Keep to business ethics.
Any schedule is easily regulated, even the freelance one. But in the first years, you’ll actually communicate with the clients late (if not at night). To keep in touch is really important and necessary: the clients appreciate the performer’s readiness to come to help, answer a question any minute.
It does not mean that you should tie yourself to the laptop or look at the tablet every ten minutes. To avoid misunderstanding, notify each new client of your personal schedule (for example, if you are not ready to sit the evenings at the computer, it’s better to write at once that you are available only from 9.00 a.m. to 9.00 p.m. or other variant). Here everyone acts according to himself/herself and his/her abilities.
So, is the game worth the candle?
Freelance is a wonderful personal experience. All above has been written just to comprehensively highlight this way of engagement. Readiness to difficulties and problem-solving will only help you in this field.
As for the rest, remote work has many advantages:
– independent selection of schedule and type of occupation;
– ability to adapt to personal biorhythms;
– constant load control and adjustment;
– high wages
– no bosses.
Freelancer is not just labour, it is a way of life that has its own obvious advantages. If it catches your fancy, the resignation notice was written in time. Otherwise, use the obtained experience to select the next personal goals!