A pensioner can earn on freelance
Pension is not a reason to stop working. It is a great opportunity to do your favorite pastime you have not had enough time for, to learn the Internet and freelance.
Sometimes it is difficult to decently live on pension, especially if you want to treat yourself to entertainment, traveling. That’s why many pensioners go on working. But the money is not the main factor. An engaged pensioner feels a necessary professional, an important member of society. Working, the person for a long time keeps vital activity, and together with it health, continues to be useful to society inspiring and giving an example to young successors.
Elderly people are capable of many things: so, Goethe finished his “Faust” at the age of 82 years, and Repin painted his last masterpiece paintings in 87, and Edison after the 80th anniversary received patents for four dozens of inventions
How can a pensioner find earning in the Internet? We asked about it real people of post-retirement age on freelancing, and they gladly shared their experience.
Miguel, 68 years, a writer and a translator:
– By education I am a professional teacher, also in my youth I was engaged in physical therapy and massage. I’ve tried many things as professional activities: I was a correspondent and then an editor in a magazine, a plumber, a taxi driver, a freight forwarder, a procurement officer. I know English, Spanish and Russian.
I learnt foreign languages at school and institute, I managed to live abroad. And I made myself a writer: I’ve published an action, currently I’m writing a historical novel.
As a freelancer, I take up different tasks: I translate, write essays and articles, write scripts of interviews with audio recordings, and even walk the dogs. You can find an activity to your liking even in the elderly age.
I don’t advise the freelancing translators and authors to take up technical texts: translation of technical documents takes much more time, than work with fiction, and the payment in the end is the same. If you are going to take an audio record for scriptwriting, then before you apply, you should listen to it: if the quality is too bad, you won’t be able to do your work properly, therefore, you will be left without money. I do not advise to take up scriptwriting, and if the customer does not give the audio record in advance, it is a negative sign.
Mafalda, 62 years, sewer:
– I am a foreign language teacher and a translator by profession. Recently, the number of students has been reducing, and I decided, along with tutoring, to have a side job as a sewer. Forty years ago, I studied to sew theatrical costumes and exhibition models.
Before taking up a job as a freelancer, I recalled my skills at home sewing my and children’s clothes. And my first works were the simplest tasks: to shorten the trousers or replace the zipper. Now I take up much more difficult orders: I make silk Japanese kimonos, sew ball dresses.
I advise my co-sewers to look at the orders for curtains hemming. Often such tasks imply the owner of the dressmaking and tailoring establishment who finds it unprofitable to keep a staff member and wants to give a part of the tasks to freelancers. If he/she is satisfied with your work, you’ll surely have regular orders.
Anna-Maria, 64 years, courier:
– I’ve had a side job as a courier for 7 years. Sometimes I deliver packages by my own car, but more often, I go by public transport. I take up one-two orders a day not to overwork. I deliver documentation, flowers and cakes, various goods. The main thing is that the cargo shouldn’t be heavy. I prefer communication using messengers in smartphone.
I don’t advise other pensioner couriers to take up heavy cargos, you should take care of yourselves and not to overload: health is more valuable! The most comfortable weight is up to three kilograms, better don’t take more.
Sergio, 66 years, household appliances repairman:
– I can repair almost any household appliances: coolers and refrigerators, vacuum cleaners and washing machines, mixers and even record players. But I prefer to apply to repair of refrigerators: at home, I have a full set of necessary tools for them, I needn’t spend time and money to buy new ones. And I imagine what usually breaks in a refrigerator, and take spare parts, which are required most often.
I take up orders as the mood takes me, I am not chasing after permanent engagement. Fixing of three refrigerators a month is enough for going to the theater and swimming pool membership.
I don’t recommend my colleagues to take up the repair of submersible blender. It is a one-time purchase, you won’t succeed in fixing the thing, and the customer will refuse to pay for your visit. Better save you time.
Ines, 67 years, foreman:
– I have been engaged in repair of residential and office premises for more than ten years, and I love my work. I started career as a construction worker, and in six years reached the position of a foreman. At present, I’m in charge of a team of professional builders. We take up small repairs, finishing and “turn-key” repairs.
I’d recommend to freelance builders to gain experience first. Lack of theoretical knowledge and practical skills directly affects the quality of repair. If you want to do the construction business, study it from the inside: start with auxiliary works. If you are willing, you can quickly learn the skills of painter, plasterer, etc. A foreman who has all construction specialties in hand is the best foreman. But remember that working as a helper you’ll have to carry heavy loads, wipe floors and walls from obstinate stains.
In this article, we have collected the most remarkable stories. And there are non-working pensioners engaged in mushrooms gathering, looking after pets, earning by cleaning of offices and apartments, drawing up documentation (for example, audits and declarations), photographing the goods for placement in online shops, tutoring in various fields.
All stories say that the pensioner needn’t necessarily get bored at home, it is real to earn on your own via the Internet! If you have a desire and abilities, you can learn a new business and freelance even in the elderly age – visit the thematic forum, website, service, vacancies for the unemployed will always be there.
If you also want to try your forces – discover GetService. Here you will find a lot of interesting orders in various fields, and will be able to prove yourself as a specialist in the field of activity you are good at. Freelance for pensioners in the Internet is easy!